Holding Onto What Is Good: The 113th Convention of the Episcopal Diocese of Olympia
October 28, 9:30 am – 7:00 pm | Online
As we await the election of the next Bishop of Olympia, like the ancient Christian Community at Thessalonica awaiting a changed world, we continue pressing forward with the good and important work of our Diocese. This includes strengthening racial justice and racial equity, developing more faithful, healthy, and effective faith communities within their contexts, and making greater progress on creation care and climate justice. In this time of active waiting, we “hold fast to what is good” (1 Thessalonians 5:21) within our Diocese and, at the same time, prepare ourselves for a new season.
Our 113th Convention was held online on October 28, beginning at 9:30 am – a day to do the good work of the Diocese as we elected new leaders and voted on important resolutions for the life of our Diocese.
Join us for our Electing Convention on Saturday, May 18, 2024, at Saint Mark’s Cathedral in Seattle.
The 114th Convention of the Episcopal Diocese of Olympia is scheduled for October 25-26 at the Tacoma Convention Center and Marriott Hotel Downtown Tacoma.
You can watch the Convention livestream in the embedded video below.
Bishop Diocesan Electing Convention
The convention approved Special Rules of Order for the Special Electing Convention for Bishop Diocesan, to be held on Saturday, May 18, 2024, at Saint Mark’s Cathedral in Seattle. The special order includes information on the convention format and voting procedures, process for nominations, and the background check process. Delegates and alternates were asked to save the date for the electing convention as those elected to this fall 2023 convention are the persons who will elect our next bishop at the special convention.
Updates to the Constitution & Canons
Proposals from the Committee on Constitution & Canons were adopted as submitted. These changes will be updated in the Constitution & Canons of the Diocese of Olympia, and a revised version will be published in early 2024.
2024 Diocesan Operating Budget
The 2024 diocesan operating budget, adopted by the Diocesan Council, was ratified as presented.
Convention Resolutions with Actions
- Resolution 1 – 2025 Diocesan Assessment Rate (adopted as submitted)
Sets the 2025 diocesan assessment rate factor at 14.5% of the Net Disposable Income (NDI).
- Resolution 2 – Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) to Clergy Salary Scale for 2024 (adopted as submitted)
Sets the cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) for 2024 parochial clergy salary scale and Office of the Bishop staff salary scale at 4.6%. 2024 Parochial Clergy Salary Scale will be available on the diocesan website.
- Resolution 3 – A Resolution to Enhance Access to the Denominational Health Plan (adopted as submitted)
Approved a resolution to the 81st General Convention, to be held in Louisville, Kentucky, in June 2024, as follows: Resolved, the House of __________ concurring, That the 81st General Convention authorize the Church Pension Group to reduce the number of annual hours worked to gain self-funded eligibility and access to the Denominational Health Plan to 500 hours annually.
All 3-year terms unless otherwise noted; officers are elected annually.
- Commission on Ministry lay order: Tina Polf, St. Dunstan’s, Shoreline
- Diocesan Council Be Attitudes Reg. Ministry: Jo Burkholder, St. Luke’s, Seattle
- Diocesan Council Peninsula Regional Ministry: The Rev. Eric Stelle, St. John’s, Gig Harbor
- Diocesan Council Sno Isle Regional Ministry: The Rev. Allen Hicks, Trinity, Everett
- Diocesan Council Holy C Regional Ministry: The Rev. Doyt Conn, Epiphany, Seattle (1-year unexpired)
- Diocesan Council at-large: The Rev. Greg Peters, St. Alban’s, Edmonds (1-year term); The Rev. Annie Calhoun, St. Anne’s, Washougal; Lee Holland, St. Matthew’s, Browns Point
- Standing Committee lay order: Constance Lightbody, St. John’s, Kirkland
- Standing Committee clergy order: The Rev. Jani Wild, St. Paul’s, Bellingham
- Secretary of Convention: The Rev. Dr. Marda Steedman Sanborn
- Archivist & Records Manager: Erik Bauer
- Treasurer: James Beckwith
- Chancellor: Judy Andrews
- Vice Chancellor: Bryan Krislock
- Assistant Chancellor: Rosemarie LeMoine
- Board of Directors: Christi McCarren, Christ Church, Tacoma
- Diocesan Council BIPOC: Sharalyne King, St. Stephen’s, Longview
- Personnel Commission: The Rev. Elise Johnston, St. John the Baptist, Seattle (appointed as chair)
- Disciplinary Board: George Robertson, St. Barnabas, Bainbridge Island; The Rev. Josh Hosler, Church of the Good Shepherd, Federal Way
- Attorney: Douglas Oles, Epiphany, Seattle